Erin ShipleyR.N. Contact Erin Shipley
Erin is a registered nurse with more than 15 years of healthcare leadership experience. She collaborates with healthcare executive teams to build innovative strategies that drive operational excellence and improve the overall patient, team member, and provider experience.
Erin is a leader with more than 20 years of healthcare industry experience. She is a registered nurse who challenges leaders to think creatively and eliminate interdepartmental barriers, creating an engaging place for employees to work, patients to receive care, and physicians to practice medicine. Her background as an emergency department nurse and nurse leader in outpatient, ambulatory, and inpatient units strengthens her ability to deploy the Evidence-Based Leadership℠ model in all types of patient care settings. Erin excels with developing leaders and team members at all levels and tenure. In addition to her role as a national speaker and workshop facilitator with Huron, Erin serves as the executive director of consumer experience at Cooper University Health Care, in Camden, New Jersey.
Over the course of her career, Erin has:
- Hosted over 150 Nursing Leadership and Leadership Talent Experiential Workshops with an average overall rating/value of the session at 9.8/10.
- Redesigned front-line and clinical staff onboarding demonstrating a 10% reduction in registered nurse turnover within three years.
- Coached a 600-bed academic health center to achieve improvement by 15 top box points in one year in overall rating, nurse communication, and responsiveness of staff as measured by HCAHPS.
- Coached a 300-bed community hospital to increase HCAHPS responsiveness of staff from the 25th percentile to the 80th percentile in 15 months.
- Worked with a pediatric hospital to achieve overall patient satisfaction at the 98th percentile, up from the 40th percentile two years previously.
- Led a five-hospital system with over six ambulatory surgical centers to increase ambulatory surgery satisfaction from the 18th to the 90th percentile in one year.
- Coached a six-hospital health system to improve employee engagement to the 90th percentile overall for over five consecutive years.
Prior to her time at Huron, Erin was a clinical nurse manager and service line administrator for Lafayette General Health. She is a member of the Emergency Nurses Association and The705, a local nonprofit focused on emerging community leadership development.
Areas of Expertise
- Organizational Transformation
- Emergency Nurses Association
- American Organization for Nursing Leadership
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
Education & Certifications
- M.S., Nursing — Leadership and Management, Walden University
- A.S., Nursing, Louisiana State University and A&M College
- Certified Emergency Nurse: Board Certification for Emergency Nursing
Speaking Topics List
- Alignment and Accountability
- Change Management and Leadership
- Employee Attraction and Engagement
- Executive Leadership
- Organizational Culture
- Resilience and Well-Being
- Patient and Consumer Experience
- High-Reliability Organization (HRO)
- Physician Alignment and Engagement
- Quality and Safety
- Strategy and Innovation
Whether you’re an aspiring leader, an established director, or a seasoned executive, as healthcare continues to evolve, so must healthcare leaders. Our ability to coach, mentor, and develop our staff is a key driver of improvement in outcomes and high-quality patient care. Huron’s experiential workshops are an on-site or virtual leadership training program in which Huron’s national conference faculty members deliver nursing, clinical, or nonclinical leadership content tailored to your organization’s learning needs. It is designed to help these vital leaders drive improvements in employee engagement and patient care. The content is fully customizable based on your organization's needs. Engage your team with hands-on, interactive learning as our experts outline best practices, demonstrate what right looks like, and help you practice what you’ve learned. Through skill labs, immersive learning scenarios, tabletop role-play, and discussion, leaders will leave better prepared to validate desired staff behaviors and coach their teams to success.
Learning objectives are customizable based on organization priority.
Workshop offerings include (and are not limited to):
- Nurse Leader Workshop
- Compassionate Care Workshop
- Attraction and Retention Workshop
- Change Management and Leadership Workshop
- Performance Management Workshop
Healthcare Talent: Creating a Culture to Thrive
People are — and always will be — at the heart of healthcare. With talent strategy challenges escalating, now is the time for leaders to focus on innovative talent solutions and building a sustainable culture where employees can thrive now and in the future. During this session, attendees will learn how to develop talent in small bursts by leveraging key “in the moment” coaching tactics that build connections to the organization for the long term. Leaders will learn how to engage all staff members, including agency/travelers, pro re nata (PRN) nurses, novice clinicians, and our most experienced care teams, in a culture that drives innovation and engagement across their work teams.
- Attendees will be able to verbalize how behavioral standards impact hospital culture.
- Leaders will be able to share at least three strategies for integrating agency/per diem staff into hospital culture and standards.
- Attendees will understand the impact that intentional recognition and communication has on organizational culture and retention.
Innovating Alternative Care Models for Staff Engagement
As the great resignation and current challenges continue to change the way we work, it is increasingly important to hire, engage, and retain employees. As hiring practices continue to evolve, different care models are necessary to continue to deliver the highest possible care. During this session, attendees will learn how to cultivate an employee-centric culture by connecting to purpose, providing support, building autonomy, communicating appreciation, and developing a psychologically safe environment while implementing different care delivery processes. Learn how organizations across the country are taking small steps to decrease workloads for staff and continue to deliver on our purpose of high-quality, patient-centric care. Learn how high-performing organizations are pulling expertise and research regarding trauma-informed care to innovate their staff communication and onboarding training. In a challenging environment, learn how you can begin to include a focus on safety and security for employees in your current wellness and retention journey for overall staff engagement.
- Attendees will be able to articulate one to two immediate ways to innovate their current patient care model.
- Attendees will be able to verbalize the impact that employee rounding has on the innovation of patient care/staff practices.
- Attendees will be able to immediately implement one to two leading practices for creating a safer environment for patients utilizing alternative staffing models.
- Leaders will be able to describe the evidence behind trauma-informed care and how the communication strategy can be utilized in a variety of patient delivery environments.
Bringing the Frontline Nurse Leader Bootcamp to our hospital was a game changer. Erin's natural coaching style and honest feedback helped my team to move past their barriers in coaching and mentoring their frontline teams. Since the Bootcamp, we've seen a 10% reduction in falls and a 30% reduction in length of stay.”
The results from our partnership are undeniable. When we began our focus on patient experience in 2018, we were in the 25th Percentile in Overall rating for OASCAHPS, and falling every month. Erin has been instrumental, and with her strong focus on developing my leaders, it's uncommon for us to find ourselves falling below the 90th Percentile.”
Erin is unlike anyone I have ever worked with. She can immediately connect with any audience — whether bedside nurses or a room full of nurse executives or CEOs. Her work background gives her immediate credibility, as she has “been there.” Her creativity, her speaking skills and ability to engage her audience makes her an immediate change agent. Literally, people want to follow her, improve their performance and be better. She is a natural leader and I learn from her every time I work with her. She’s nothing short of amazing.”
Please note that testimonials or endorsements found on this website do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of any services provided by Huron. Prospective clients may not obtain the same or similar results.
Available to Purchase
Best sellers, leadership development, team development, patient and employee engagement, and more.Visit Our Amazon Bookstore
Learn more about Huron's experts.Learn More
Join Our Talent CommunityLearn More