Craig DeaoMHA Contact Craig Deao
Craig is a senior leader at Huron, and a highly regarded national speaker on leadership, engagement, quality, and patient safety. He works with healthcare executives to create highly reliable organizations where employees want to work, physicians and nurses want to practice, and patients want to receive care.
Since 2006, Craig has led Huron’s speaking team. He also co-led the organization’s journey to become a recipient of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2010. In addition to his full-time work with Huron, he serves as faculty for the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE).
Craig’s career has been a blend of operational leadership and hands-on experience in the field. As a result, he’s been able to use within the company the same Evidence-Based Leadership℠ principles Huron teaches its clients.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Operations
- Care Transformation
- Digital Technology and Analytics
- Organizational Transformation
- Strategy and Innovation
Education & Certifications
- MHA, University of Minnesota
- B.A., Louisiana State University
- B.S., Louisiana State University
- Crew Resource Management trainer
- Lean for Healthcare Certification
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Alignment and Accountability
- Change Management and Leadership
- Employee Attraction and Engagement
- Executive Leadership, Leadership
- Organizational Culture
- Resilience and Well-Being
- Patient and Consumer Experience
- High Reliability Organization (HRO)
- Physician Alignment and Engagement
- Quality and Safety
- Strategy and Innovation
The Transformation Journey: The Immovable Object Meets the Unstoppable Force
Healthcare organizations are highly complex, rigid systems trying to optimize quality, safety, and growth. Yet the environment in which we operate is highly dynamic and changing. This is the challenge of today’s healthcare leader: to galvanize their people to align, commit, and implement a bold future vision in the face of a volatile world and rigid organizational systems. To do this effectively, leaders must navigate a multitude of barriers throughout the transformation journey. This session shares the latest evidence on what it takes to lead a transformation journey, the six key elements every organization must have to be a high-performing leader in their industry, and how to hardwire success for the long term.
- Understand the transformation journey, including how to overcome the known barriers encountered along the way.
- Discuss the six key elements of a high-performing organization and assess how your organization is performing on each dimension.
- Identify the two immutable organizational characteristics.
The E-Factor: How Engaged Patients, Clinicians, Leaders, and Employees Will Transform Healthcare
Leaders in healthcare have a competitive advantage — we have the most talented, passionate people in any industry. Yet, despite decades of focus on performance improvement, our results lag behind our ambitions. In this session, hear Studer Group’s latest thinking on engaging people as a core competency necessary to achieve your mission.
- Describe the latest trends in patient, physician, and employee engagement.
- Shift your leadership philosophy from satisfaction to engagement.
- Implement evidence-based strategies to empower your team’s human capital
Nobody Fights Their Own Ideas: Innovation as a Source of Engagement
Organizations need fresh ideas and new approaches — the kinds of ideas that can only come from frontline employees who are most knowledgeable about how processes work, where they are flawed and how they compare to what your customers need. Engaged employees fuel innovation. Luckily, innovation also fuels engagement. In this session, learn more about the virtuous cycle of engagement and innovation.
- Discuss the connection between engagement and innovation.
- Develop a heightened culture of innovation among front-line employees.
- Leverage innovation as a catalyst for engagement.
Craig was not only informative, he was engaging and inspiring. He went out of his way to meet with us the evening before to gain additional insight into our objectives and current state and then capitalized on what he heard from us and how we could leverage and elevate our current state based on his expertise and background with Studer evidence-based practices and hands on coaching.”
It was an excellent day. Craig was superb! His presentation was both informative and engaging on THE topic we need to address to improve our care delivery. Your organization models the values and tactics you espouse. Craig engaged our leaders throughout the entire presentation. I have heard nothing but positive comments from all leaders regarding his presentation, content, and delivery.”
I have utilized the Studer Group for many years. The speakers continue to prove themselves as subject matter experts in the healthcare and do a tremendous job engaging the audience. Wealth of knowledge; superb presentation skills; easily adapted his presentation to our specific needs.”
Please note that testimonials or endorsements found on this website do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of any services provided by Huron. Prospective clients may not obtain the same or similar results.
Available to Purchase
The E Factor: How Engaged Patients, Clinicians, Leaders, and Employees Will Transform Healthcare
Healthcare must provide higher quality care at a lower cost. Understand how Huron | Studer Group's Engagement Model can help drive engagement and transform healthcare.Purchase on Amazon
Learn more about Huron's experts.Learn More
Join Our Talent CommunityLearn More